What You Can Expect If Arrested For Drug Crimes In El Cajon?
In California, it is unlawful to possess any controlled substances or illegal drugs. Even though recreational marijuana has been legalized, individuals must still adhere to established laws when it comes to the possession of cannabis. Therefore, those 21 years old and over are only allowed 8 grams of concentrated cannabis or about one ounce of dried marijuana.
If law enforcement stops you and finds prohibited substances or an amount of marijuana over the lawful limit, you are liable to be arrested for having drugs in your possession. Knowing beforehand what happens in such a situation can help you stay composed, enabling you to think through steps that ensure your legal rights remain secure. Knowing your rights is critical if you are arrested for Drug Possession in El Cajon. It’s important to understand what to expect, the legal process, and the resources available that can help you with your situation.
What Steps To Follow If Arrested For Possession Of Drugs?
- Staying calm and refraining from resisting arrest is essential. You are being arrested on suspicion of a drug crime, however, an arrest doesn’t mean you are guilty. Resisting the police could lead to a dangerous situation and additional criminal charges.
- It is essential to be aware of your rights and access to legal representation. If you already know a good criminal defense attorney in El Cajon, politely ask the officers if you can communicate when the opportunity is available.
- If not, reach out to someone who could help you find an experienced criminal defense attorney. Also for those who cannot arrange finances for the lawyer’s fees, a legal counselor is appointed.
- Apart from hiring an attorney, you should also put forth a request for bail. When it comes to arraignment, make sure to plead not guilty if you haven’t consulted a lawyer.
What To Avoid On Being Arrested For Possession Of Drugs?
When you are arrested and moved to the police station, you should avoid talking. Never give in to your impulse to make comments or answer questions. All your necessary details are registered with the officers who visit for an arrest so you have no obligation to say anything else.
Remember that individuals have the right to remain silent if they are questioned by police officers before they are arrested. You can inform the officers of your intent to exercise this right whether they are aware of Miranda Rights or not.
Be cautious when speaking with law enforcement officers. Anything you say can be used as evidence against you in court, so think before you speak. Additionally, it’s important to realize that conversations with fellow inmates are not confidential and all phone calls and visits are recorded.
To prevent yourself from being held liable for drug possession charges, it’s essential to avoid providing any written evidence or signing documents without the assistance of your hired criminal defense attorney in El Cajon. Anything you agree to in writing or sign can be used against you as legal proof.
What Are The Drug Possession Charges And Penalties?
Drug possession may be considered a misdemeanor offense, but that does not make it any less serious. The consequences of a misdemeanor conviction include up to 1 year in county jail and a maximum fine of $1,000. It’s important to take these charges seriously and seek legal help if needed.
The list of drugs that attract possession of drugs charges is Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Marijuana, Meth, etc. Apart from the possession of drugs, you may also be charged with other offenses. Depending on your situation at the time of drug possession, you could be accused of any or all of these:
- Intoxication caused by a controlled substance
- Transporting or selling controlled substances
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Intent to sell illegal drugs
If you are found guilty of certain drug-related offenses, like drug possession, it can lead to a felony charge. This could mean facing up to three years behind bars in state prison.
How Important It Is To Develop A Defense Strategy?
If you’ve been charged with drug possession in El Cajon, it’s essential to develop a comprehensive defense strategy. A good defense plan can help you get out of the situation without serious consequences or a harsh sentence. With the right approach, you can make sure your rights are not violated and that your case is heard fairly in court.
If accused of a drug crime, it’s important to consult with an experienced El Cajon criminal defense attorney like Vikas Bajaj. The Law Office Of Vikas Bajaj, APC investigates your case rigorously and looks for potential defenses. Additionally, our team will review the state’s evidence thoroughly to identify any weaknesses in its argument.
Some of the well-known defense strategies in a drug possession case are:
- Proving a violation of the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution
- Proving the prescription for the controlled substances to be legal
- Proving no intent to sell or possess the drugs
Even though the prosecutor has to prove that the accused is guilty of the drug possession charge, it’s still important to hire a criminal defense lawyer in El Cajon and contest your case. The State needs to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that all elements of the crime have been fulfilled. Even if you are innocent, drug possession charges can land you in jail. Therefore, relying solely on your innocence is not a wise approach to dealing with this kind of charge.
So, when you face drug crimes or other charges like white collar crimes, domestic violence, etc., call The Law Office Of Vikas Bajaj, APC at 619-525-7005 for an initial free consultation.