If you have been charged with a crime, call Chula Vista criminal defense attorney Vikas Bajaj today. We offer a free consultation and are available 24/7 to take your call.
Mr. Bajaj has over 16 years experience successfully defending those facing criminal charges. We aggressively defend people throughout the South Bay region including Chula Vista, Bonita, Imperial Beach, and Eastlake.
Chula Vista is home to the South County Regional Center, which houses the Superior Court for South County and the Chula Vista Sheriff’s Office. If you have been arrested in the Chula Vista area, your case will be heard in this court.
How a Criminal Lawyer Can Help
The parties resolve nearly all court cases during pretrial negotiations, and in criminal law, these negotiations are called plea bargaining. Attorneys must be very experienced to successfully plea bargain, because they must know the applicable law and any relevant defenses that the defendant has.
Furthermore, they must be aggressive, because in most cases, the prosecutor doesn’t simply roll over and give the defendant a reduction. At the Law Office of Vikas Bajaj, APC, our lawyers add determination to their legal experience and aggressive posture, and this combination usually delivers results that exceed your expectations.
At the Law Office of Vikas Bajaj, APC, we limit our practice to the areas that matter most to Chula Vista families, including:
- Domestic Violence: This is another kind of case that almost always requires a civilian witness, although prosecutors sometimes try to circumvent the hearsay rule with complex legal arguments.
- Drug Crimes: Given Chula Vista’s proximity to the Mexican border, local police are constantly on the lookout for drug crimes. If you have been charged with drug trafficking or smuggling, find out how we can help.
- DUI: Even a first conviction means high fines, much higher insurance rates, and long-term license suspension; aggravating factors, like an alcohol-related collision, drive the penalties even higher. These cases nearly always rest on either circumstantial evidence that’s subject to interpretation or Breathalyzer test results that are sometimes inherently flawed.
- Juvenile Crimes: These cases require a special touch, because juvenile law is often a cross between family and criminal law.
- Sex Crimes: Serious consequences will result from a sex crimes conviction, including lifetime sex offender registration. Do not take these allegations lightly and call us today.
- Theft: To obtain theft convictions, prosecutors must produce civilian witnesses, and this is not always easy to do months or years after the alleged crime. Furthermore, theft is a specific intent crime that is difficult to prove in court.
We also routinely handle expungements and many other criminal cases in Chula Vista and the surrounding areas.
In all criminal cases, the state must prove guilt beyond any reasonable doubt. In California, that means that the evidence must be so overwhelming that jurors have “an abiding conviction that the charge is true” that eliminates anything other than “imaginary doubt.” Furthermore, prosecutors must prove each element of the offense.
There are procedural limits as well, because search warrants must be based on probable cause and police do not have unlimited powers. In fact, in one recent United States Supreme Court case from California, the Justices sharply limited police officer’s authority to conduct searches following lawful arrests.
Speak to an Experienced Chula Vista Criminal Defense Attorney
In criminal law, the sooner your attorney begins working on your defense the more effective it will be, so contact the Law Office of Vikas Bajaj, APC right away.